Week 6

Friday, 11 February 2011

To start the week I made some minor changes to the base mesh acting upon critique from Dave.  The areas involved were the torso and arms which I had to scale up since it didn’t look like he was wearing a jacket. The Head was to large/wide so I scaled and reattached that. The topology on the forearm was also incorrect, so I rectified that which would allow him to move it more freely when rigged. Once that was all done I began moving the character into Zbrush.  Now it is worth noting that although I am producing a character in the Games Modelling Module but due to milestones in this module I am forced to progress ahead so although we will be covering Zbrush in Games Modelling at a later stage but as it stood I had no experience with it. I had however watched a great number of tutorials so could navigate its use interface relatively well. Once the character was in Zbrush I began sculpting his jacket and legs. Something that struck me about this process relatively quickly is how technical knowledge alone isn’t enough unlike in programs such as Maya. The sculpting process, which I had simply categorized as part of the modelling pipeline, seemed more similar to drawing than actual modelling in the respect that having the tools and knowing how to use them isn’t enough you have to have the skill to put that knowledge to use. In conclusion Zbrush isn’t something to be undertaken lightly or viewed as another part of the pipeline but something that alone can take years to master. Returning from that slight tangent, I completed the high res jacket and trousers relatively quickly with the intention of getting feedback from Leevon which would allowing me sufficient enough time to make alterations before the week 8 presentation. 

Week 6 Zbrush work

0 comments:

Post a Comment